What are my known knowns, my known unknowns, and my unknown unknowns?
When it comes to planning, research, and decision making, significant discoveries and improvements can come from searching for problems you didn’t know you had, and solutions you didn’t know you needed. As a professional researcher and analytic thinker, I can help you answer both the questions you have, and the questions you didn’t know you had.
I can offer you a variety of consulting services that involve both asking the right question, and finding the answer. While my specialty is in transportation, I have a toolbox of skills that can be applied to a wide variety of problems. I am a trained problem solver with a background in physics, mathematics, programming, transportation modelling, and probability theory. Below are a few examples of services I can provide; if you are interested in learning more please contact me using the form at the bottom of this page.
- Data management and analysis – Information of all kinds is often recorded for the purposes of future planning and development, but what is the best way to store this data, and how can it be analyzed to extract intuitive and effective information? Every data collection and storage situation is unique, and with my background in database development as well as statistical analysis, data processing, and modelling I can develop solutions to meet your needs, including producing well-researched reports and providing information processing techniques.
- Decision analysis under uncertainty – Making decisions about uncertain events requires a strong understanding of the nature of probability. When uncertainty is combined with outcomes, risk becomes the important driving factor for decision making. With knowledge of probability modelling and stochastic processes, I can help you navigate the space of uncertainty and help you make more informed and mathematically sound decisions. I can draw from sound probability techniques in classical probability, Bayesian analysis, Markov chains, and Brownian motion.
- Strategy development support – A mathematical model of a complex system (such as a transportation system) is a simplified but powerful tool. It can provide insights into relationships that are not always obvious or visible. When these insights are combined with common sense and practicality they can improve the efficiency of systems both big and small. Additionally, models can support strategic decision making with regards to future development and growth of any system.
- Software solutions – Being able to collect and access information is important for making almost any business decision. Many software tools exist to aid you in making these decisions quickly and confidently; few manage to combine all the sources of information and provide the intuitive results that you’re looking for. With a custom solution tailored to your needs, lightweight yet robust applications can help you get the most out of your daily decision making. I have experience developing custom applications for a variety of data requirements, and I place an emphasis on software that not only works, but is easy to understand and use.
- Education – I believe that education is an important part of establishing independence and self-sufficiency, and that knowledge should not be hoarded and wielded over others as a means of establishing power. All of the services mentioned here include education along the way, and I will teach you how my solutions work instead of handing you a black box. I also offer education as a standalone service, and I have taught workshops and classes on Python, probability theory, math and mathematical modelling, and physics.
Please feel free to send me a message with your particulars if you would like to learn more about what I can offer you.